About TWRP: Team Win Recovery Project, is an open-source recovery image for Android-based devices. It provides a touch-enabled interface which allows users to install third-party firmwares and backup the current system, which are often unsupported by stock recoveries. (Source- Wikipedia)
There are 2 ways to install TWRP on your device.
- By using apps like Flashify, TWRP manager, GooManager etc.
- By using ODIN tool.
Rooting is a pre-requisite if you are installing it via any of the apps. If you have already Rooted your device, then you are probably familiar with the use of ODIN tool. I prefer the ODIN method, though it is bit complex.
- Go to Settings–>Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging. If Developer Optionsis not enabled then go to About Phone and tap on Build number 7 times to enable it.
- Confirm that your phone model is GT-I9300 by going to Settings–>About phone–>Model name.
- Make sure the USB drivers for Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 are installed on your PC.
- Back Up all your important data.
- Phone should be Rooted (Click here for steps to Root Galaxy S3 GT-I9300). (Required if you are installing using app. It is recommended to Root the phone if you are installing using ODIN as well)
- Battery should be about 50% charged.
- Proceed at your own risk 🙂
Installing TWRP using Flashify app: (Phone should be Rooted)
File to Download:
TWRP 188.8.131.52 Touch Recovery For Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 [Filename: openrecovery-twrp-184.108.40.206-i9300.img]
- Copy the downloaded openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-i9300.img file to your device SD Card.
- Download Flashify app on your Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Link- Flashify App
- Install and open the app. Click on Recovery Image.
- Now select your copied file (i.e. openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-i9300.img) and follow onscreen instructions.
- Done 🙂
Installing TWRP using ODIN:
Files to Download:
TWRP 22.214.171.124 Touch Recovery For Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 [Filename: openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-i9300.tar]
- Extract the downloaded ODIN zip to get Odin exe file.
- Run Odin exe file as administrator on your PC.
- Switch off your phone. Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down+Home+Power buttons together until the warning triangle appears on the phone’s screen. Then press the Volume Up button to enter into Download Mode.
- Connect the phone to the computer using USB while it is in Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. An Added message will appear under Odin message box. Additionally, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number indicating successful connection.
Note- If the Added message does not appear then try connecting the phone with other USB port. In case the issue still persists then re-install the device drivers.
- Click on the PDA Button (renamed to AP button in newer versions) and select the openrecovery-twrp-188.8.131.52-i9300.tar file. The Auto-Reboot and F.Reset Time options should be checked. Click on the START button to start flashing the file.
The Installation process will start and will take a few minutes to complete. ODIN will show the PASS message and phone will reboot after successful flashing.
You have successfully installed the TWRP 184.108.40.206 Touch Recovery on Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 and you are now free to install custom ROMs on your Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. To boot into recovery, first turn off your device and then press and hold Volume Up+Home+Power button together until Samsung logo flashes. TWRP Recovery Menu will Open.
For steps to Install CynogenMod12 Android Lollipop based custom ROM to Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300-Click here.
Please leave your comments and feedback.
Thanks for checking out !
- Switch between multiple proxies in Chrome browser [ProxySwitchy Guide] - February 12, 2016
- CISCO VPN CLIENT -REASON 442: FAILED TO ENABLE VIRTUAL ADAPTER [Fix] - January 31, 2016
- CynogenMod 13 (Android Marshmallow [6.0]) on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. [21-12-2015] - December 21, 2015